Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

al g
Level 2

1099-MISC entry

As a landlord, I am filling out a 1099-MISC form for a contractor with whom I spent more than $600 during the year.  Does the amount I paid go in Box 3 Other Income or Box 7 Nonemployee Compensation?

Thanks,

Al

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
Carl
Level 15

1099-MISC entry

If you hired the individual as a sub-contractor to perform work for you pertaining to the rental property, it goes in box 7. The recipient will report that income as self-employment income on SCH C on their own tax return.  Generally, a rental property owner is not required to issue a 1099-MISC regardless of the amount. But if you qualify for QBI on that rental income (and I seriously doubt you do) then issuing the 1099-MISC helps to substantiate your claim to that QBI deduction.

Note that if you paid an individual, sole proprietorship or LLC then issuing the 1099-MISC may be worth while for QBI. If you paid an incorporated business, then you're wasting your time.

al g
Level 2

1099-MISC entry

Great! Thanks.

JEnnenga
Returning Member

1099-MISC entry

It is requesting a property address for this royalty.  I do not own the land but only the royalty on the property and do not consider this a business but an investment.  I don't believe I had to put the address in there last year??

RobertG
Expert Alumni

1099-MISC entry

The address is entered for descriptive purposes only.  You can enter any address you like, including your own.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
JEnnenga
Returning Member

1099-MISC entry

So I shouldn't put the oil company name in??  I guess I need to review last years and see how I entered

RobertG
Expert Alumni

1099-MISC entry

You can use the oil company name and address as well.

@JEnnenga

1099-MISC entry

Can you expand on this?: "Generally, a rental property owner is not required to issue a 1099-MISC regardless of the amount. "

I had my rental property painted. Do I issue a 1099-MISC to the person who painted the home? Everything I read says "yes." Your sentence makes me think not but perhaps I'm taking it out of context.

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

1099-MISC entry

You do need to issue the form 1099-MISC for an independent contractor who performed repairs on your property, assuming the amount paid was more than $600 for the year.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies