Solved: 1041-es calculation doesn't account for capital gains

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RRArtie
Level 2

1041-es calculation doesn't account for capital gains

When will the calculation for 2018 estimated tax on form 1041-es be fixed to account for capital gains tax rates?

I have a trust with dividends and capital gains (sales and distributions) income. Turbo Tax Business carries all of 2017 income into the 2018 1041-es entry. Only the capital gains from 2017 sales are entered as capital gains estimates for 2018. I correct these estimates add the appropriate distribution deduction and look at the calculated tax. Turbo Tax Business doesn't use the Tax Computation Worksheet Using Capital Gains Rates and calculates a tax double what I will owe. Useless! I will continue with my spreadsheet method. 

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
tagteam
Level 15

" I will continue with my spreadsheet method."

That would probably be the best approach and I believe you have a legitimate gripe about how the estimated tax is calculated. 

It appears as if the program simply uses the tax rate table exclusively and I presume that is because of the compressed tax rates for estates/trusts. Regardless, cap gains rates calculations should at least be a selectable option.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
tagteam
Level 15

" I will continue with my spreadsheet method."

That would probably be the best approach and I believe you have a legitimate gripe about how the estimated tax is calculated. 

It appears as if the program simply uses the tax rate table exclusively and I presume that is because of the compressed tax rates for estates/trusts. Regardless, cap gains rates calculations should at least be a selectable option.

View solution in original post

RRArtie
Level 2

Thank you for the quick response. I had hoped Turbo Tax developers would "say we are working on a fix", but the new tax law probably gave them a bunch to do for 2018.
For people that rely on this calculation (in other words don't run a parallel spread sheet) it is very misleading. As you say the brackets are compressed and you get to the max fast. However, you should be paying only 15% for the cap gains.  Again, thank you
hpeelle

I bought Turbo Tax Business specifically to help me calculate 2018 estimated taxes for at trust using 1041ES-2018. However, since all of the trust income are qualified dividends and capital gains, the program is not useful at all. I will have to do this manually. I would not recommend the purchase Turbo Tax Business for those wishing to calculate  Estimated Taxes for a Trust
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings