turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

JonLGlanz

1031 Exchange

Exchanged into upleg property in 2015. Sold property using Land Contract in2016. Purchaser defaulted in 2019 and abandoned Land Contract. In 2016, 2017, 2018,  I did not take any depreciation expense on property. Selling property in 2020. I want to exchange into another real estqte investment. How do I structure this convoluted mess?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

1031 Exchange

@JonLGlanz wrote:

How do I structure this convoluted mess?

You should engage the services of an attorney that specializes in real estate law and taxation and/or a 1031 exchange facilitator (Qualified Intermediary). 

View solution in original post

2 Replies

1031 Exchange

@JonLGlanz wrote:

How do I structure this convoluted mess?

You should engage the services of an attorney that specializes in real estate law and taxation and/or a 1031 exchange facilitator (Qualified Intermediary). 

Anonymous
Not applicable

1031 Exchange

Exchanged into upleg property in 2015. Sold property using Land Contract in2016. Purchaser defaulted in 2019 and abandoned Land Contract. In 2016, 2017, 2018, I did not take any depreciation expense on property. Selling property in 2020. I want to exchange into another real estqte investment. How do I structure this convoluted mess?

land contract is similar to other forms of installment sales in the eyes of the IRS being that the property is considered "sold" in the year the contract is entered into. Because of this, Section 1250 recapture (depreciation recapture) is owed in full in the year the contract is entered into (the year of the sale). Section 1250 recapture cannot be deferred via installment sales.

The IRS views it as a sale in the year the contract is entered in to.  since it is considered sold, not taking depreciation is proper. 

since it was in effect an installment sale it did not qualify for 1031.  under IRC section 1038, you must recognize gain to the extent that amounts received before repossession exceeds the gain already reported as income. this gain is limited to the initial gain on sale reduced by the gain already reported. as income and any repossession costs.   

1) principal payments received before repossession

2) gain reported

3) line 1 less line 2

4) gross profit on the sale

5) prior gain reported (usually the same as line 2)

6) repossession costs

7) line 5+6

😎 line 4 less line 7

9) taxable gain (lesser of line 3 or 😎

10) unpaid balance of the obligation

11) unrealized profit on line 10

12) line 10 minus 11 (adjusted basis on the date of repossession)

13) line 9

14) line 6

15) line 13 minus line 14

16) line 12 + line 15.  (basis in the property). 

don't think TT can handle this so I would suggest using a pro.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies