The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act eliminated the Affordable Care Act penalty starting with tax year 2019. The information below applies to tax year 2018 returns.
The Affordable Care Act requires that you either have health insurance or pay a penalty on your taxes, unless you qualify for one of these penalty exemptions:
- You spent 330 days or more outside U.S. in 2018
- You were a resident of foreign country or U.S. territory in 2018
- You were not a U.S. resident in 2018
- You’re a member of a health care sharing ministry in 2018
- You’re an Indian tribe member or eligible for Indian health care
- You spent time in jail during 2018
After you complete the Health Insurance section, if you or anyone on your tax return wasn't insured, we’ll check to see if they can get a health insurance exemption. If so, we’ll waive the tax penalty.