How do I show I had health insurance on my 2018 ta... - Community

EnglishEN

Pick a language

English Français
TurboTax has your taxes covered during coronavirus. Stay up-to-date on the latest tax info here.
Intuit
,Created with Sketch.1151 helpful votes

How do I show I had health insurance on my 2018 tax return?

To show you had health insurance coverage for 2018,

• Select Federal on the left-side menu
  • Select the Health Insurance tab on the top menu
  • Follow the prompts

For the 2018 filing season, the IRS will not accept your electronically filed tax return unless you indicate whether you had coverage, had an exemption, or will make a shared responsibility payment. In addition, returns filed on paper that do not address the health coverage requirements may be suspended pending the receipt of additional information and any refunds may be delayed.

If you purchased health coverage through Healthcare.gov or a state Marketplace, you’ll receive a 1095-A form. We’ll ask you to enter the info from your 1095-A in the Health Insurance section so we can calculate your Premium Tax Credit.

If your health insurance coverage wasn't purchased through the Marketplace, you'll get a 1095-B or 1095-C form. You won’t need to enter this form — the Premium Tax Credit is only available for Marketplace plans. Just answer the questions in the Health Insurance section and keep the 1095-B or 1095-C for your records.

Follow this link to find out what counts as health insurance, or call your health insurance provider and ask if your plan is recognized as minimum essential coverage.

Was this helpful?

You must sign in to vote, reply, or post