turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why Payment for tax limited to TWICE only?

I owe IRS around 20k tax in 2017. The money for tax payment is not ready now. I want to request 6 month extension for 2017 tax. I know I still receive penalty if I cannot pay off the tax by April 17 even though my extension will be granted. So I want to pay IRS multiple times whenever I have some money available.

https://www.irs.gov/payments/frequency-limit-table-by-type-of-tax-payment

From above web page, it looks like there is limit for the number of payments to IRS. Most are only 2. I don't know why this limit exists????

I want to pay whenever I have a portion of money owed to pay to reduce further interest/penalty. Am I limited to only pay IRS TWICE before I can pay off all the tax I owe?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

I wasn't aware there was a payment limit, seems counter productive for them to make it harder for you to give them money!

You can always print out a 1040V payment voucher for 2017 and send in payment by check.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

Does it mean if I pay by checks, there is no limit to the number of times I can send the checks every year?

They don't limit how many check payments you can make.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
EricG
Intuit Alumni

I don't think that link you posted is referring to payments plans.

Check this one out. It's got answers to questions on payment plans and mentions monthly payments down in the What can I change with my payment plan online (not paid through a direct debit)? section. 

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies