turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Stay in Texas and work for a Massachusetts company

I live in Texas and work for a company in MA. When I did my taxes in TT last year, I entered all the information from my W2 (that included state taxes in the W2). When it came to the state taxes section, it said I dont need to pay state taxes (as I am in Texas). If I remember I added the state (even though it said I dont need to do state taxes and it is taken care based on my w2). It said there is a refund from the state (400ish). I went through the whole process and submitted everything. I have confirmation that Federal has been submitted and accepted (had to pay Federal). I did not realize there is a refund for state and I just realized that I never received anything from MA state. 

1) Do I need to do anything specific for the State (considering I have now confirmation regarding state?) All the confirmation PDF's has only reference to federal). Where can I check in the last year files if I have done this correctly

2) How do I know if the state has been filed (if at all I need to file)?

3) Considering I havent received the state refund, what are my options now? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Were Massachusetts taxes withheld from your income? If so (and you were never physically present in MA when working), you'll need to file a MA tax return to claim a refund. This is not automatic - you need to tell TurboTax that you want to file a MA return.

Fill out a MA state tax return for 2017 - you should get the refund
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks. I am assuming there is a specific trigger in TurboTax to file this return. Also, considering I missed this last year, how can I file it for last year to MA state ?

Look at the W-2 (I think box 15) - does it list MA as the state ... that should be the trigger given your residence is TX in the personal section

The easiest way to file a 2017 tax return just for Massachusetts will be to download the necessary forms and instructions from Mass DOR. Start Here: https://www.mass.gov/lists/2017-massachusetts-personal-income-tax-forms-and-instructions#form-1-nr/p...

(While you could buy the 2017 version of TurboTax, you would need to go through the entire federal section in order to generate a Massachusetts tax return.)

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies