Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 4

State took money that I do not have

I filed my taxes back in February. I was to receive 1200 from Federal, but owed 660 to State. I was planning to pay the state taxes last friday, but due to emergencies, did not have enough to cover it. I thought I had applied to get a 180 day extension, but it didn't go through or else I didn't do it correctly. They took the money out of my bank account and now I am left with -$300. I have no money at all to eat or get gas money for work. 

Is there a way to get them to refund the money and then set up a payment plan?

I tried talking to someone at the DOR, but she was very short with me and I was so stressed out about not having money that I couldn't explain my situation clearly. I just needed to know if it was possible. 

Thank you.

1 Comment
Level 9

State took money that I do not have

I am sorry for your situation.


Extensions are normally extensions of time to file, not extensions of time to pay. If you owe tax, you still have to pay the tax due on April 17th (this year) - the 6 month extension gives you up to 6 months to send your paperwork in.


I don't know what state you are in, but my guess is that it is unlikely that they will refund your payment. However, the only way you can find out is to call the correct number at the state's DOR and ask. Do a search for "[your state] department of revenue "What if I can't pay my tax?" " (yes, include the inner but not the outer double quotes)


If you do this for the IRS, you will get this URL to an IRS webpage. But, of course, you will have to search for your particular state.