turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Last Name exceeds 20 Characters

So my wife as a really long last name (25 characters), which exceeds 20 characters. This is her name on the Social Security Card, there`s nothing we can do to change.

Now, I can`t abbreviate her last name, as it doesn`t match IRS files and is rejected and returned. I also cannot write down her real last name as the tool does not allow me. What to do?

On a second note: If IRS allows people to have last names longer than 20 characters, why on earth Turbo Tax imposes that limit? It is an arbitrary number that only screws up my life. Not a customer that will come back next year if I have to paper file it.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

The IRS should not reject because the characters cutoff. This is a common occurrence. Just enter what you can. The IRS identifies with social security numbers and a truncated name should not cause any issues.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks Paula,

To my shame, after I printed everything, I noticed I put a wrong SSN number for my wife. Since I had already clicked on "file by mail" I had to use the tip on this article "Can`t Edit my taxes". I clicked on "add new state" as instructed, updated the SSN for the correct number, and submitted again with a truncated name. Hope that works 🙂

Thanks for the quick reply.

PaulaM
Expert Alumni

You are welcome 🙂

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

It did not work, though. I`ll have to print it and send it over mail :(

Actually, you should still be able to e-file, even if your wife's complete name is too long to enter.  The IRS scans the first five letters of each name (first and last) to the social security number.

Type as much of her name that you can fit and you should be fine.  Confirm that your tax return isn't being rejected for another reason.

Keep us posted!  

Actually, IRS cross matches the first 4 letters of the last name and doesn't cross match first names or middle initials all.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

Interesting point. So in a name as in:

First: Janejane

Last: Doedoe Onehundred Twohundred 

The system check would be:

SSN: Total  --> Match

First: J a n e j --> Match

Last: D o e D o --> Match

is that it?

I filed over mail this time, but I want to learn how to file electronically next year 

Yes, as long as Social Security has Doedoe Onehundred Twohundred shown as the "last" name...usually (on newer cards) the "last" name is on line 2 of the SS card.

When someone has multiple middle or last names, sometimes Social Security has the wrong name showing as "last".

If the SS card shows 

Janejane Doedoe <-- line 1

Onehundred Twohundred <-- line 2

then Onehundred Twohundred is the "last" name.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

Hello,

My last name is over 20 characters. I have tried to submit my taxes a few times but it keeps getting rejected. Please tell me what I should enter as my last name so that it does not get rejected. Thank you.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies