turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to split up dividend income when you moved to a new state?

I moved from NY to NC in April of last year. I was living in NY for the first 3 months of the year. Throughout the entire year I earned about 4k in dividends from various investments. On the state tax portion of TurboTax, it's asking me to to specify how much of that 4k was made while living in NY. How do I calculate this? I only know what my 1099-DIV forms tell me, and that's the total dividends for the whole year. Do I just enter 25% of my dividend income since I only lived in NY 25% of the year?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Yes use a percentage for the dividends for each state if you only have a total for the year.  If you can show that you received the dividends while in one state or the other you can use the exact amount, but if a yearly total, the percentage method is proper.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Yes use a percentage for the dividends for each state if you only have a total for the year.  If you can show that you received the dividends while in one state or the other you can use the exact amount, but if a yearly total, the percentage method is proper.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I have a related question, and perhaps this isn't the place to post, but here's my situation:  I am moving from FL to NC in mid October and have dividends that will arrive around that time.  Since FL is a tax-free state, I'd obviously not pay taxes when I'm here.  My question is - if I move to NC in mid-October and receive dividends that month (but the ex-dividend date was in September while I was a FL resident), are they re-portable on for NC given they were "earned" in September but paid in October?  This reminds me of my year-end 1099-B which states taxed in another year for some dividends even though I received it in a different year.  I hope that was clear - thank you.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies