turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Gift from a foreign persons (parents living abroad)

Hi

I am a green card holder and my parents might give me a gift (less than $50,000). I learned from IRS document that there is a requirement for filling the gift over $100,000. If I receive a gift for less than $100,000, what kind of obligations I have. Does it need to be reported in any other document? As there is no tax on gift amount, I assume that this does not go into my tax return for this year. 

I also have two additional questions.

1) If I and my wife are filing the taxes jointly, will she get the similar amount of exemption

2) Does this $100,000 limit is per year or per lifetime. If it is lifetime limit, I want to be able to carefully document and monitor the limit (though I do not think I will reach this limit ever)

I want to make sure that I fully understand my obligations so that I am prepared when I do the taxes. I also want to make sure that I am following all the rules and regulations properly. Your assistance is highly appreciated. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Gifts received from an individual are not reported on a tax return, regardless of the amount received.

Gifts received from a foreign individual are only reported to the IRS if the amount received on an annual basis if over $100,000.   Use IRS Form 3520 to report the gift  from a foreign individual if over $100,000.

The requirement for reporting this type of gift is per individual.

If the gift is $100,000 or less then you have no requirements to report this gift.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Gifts received from an individual are not reported on a tax return, regardless of the amount received.

Gifts received from a foreign individual are only reported to the IRS if the amount received on an annual basis if over $100,000.   Use IRS Form 3520 to report the gift  from a foreign individual if over $100,000.

The requirement for reporting this type of gift is per individual.

If the gift is $100,000 or less then you have no requirements to report this gift.

Thank you very much for your detailed and clear response. I appreciate that. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies