turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

employer overpaid

I am a physician, and I left my practice Dec 2016.  I received 75 thousand from the practice for billing that I was owed.  The payment came in Feb 2017.  I was paid via 1099 MISC.  Owner of practice then said I was overpaid.  I paid the practice back apx. $8,500.00  The 1099 does not reflect this.  How do lower my tax obligation of this "income" that I technically never received?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

employer overpaid

If you were paid by 1099-MISC with the $75,000 in box 7, then you are eligible to file Schedule C. You might not need the complete Home & Business version of TurboTax, some of the lower versions let you file a limited amount of self-employment income.

In any case, you will want to follow the instructions in this detailed answer by TurboTaxKatrinaB. List the 1099-MISC as income for your "business" and then list the $8,500 as a refund (see pictures). This will reduce your taxable income.

Some of the comments to that answer noted that some users said that they could not see the refund option. I can see it on the TurboTax Premier Online product and on the Home & Business desktop version. It would not shock me if the Free version did not have it and that you might have to upgrade to see it.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies