Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

MM1
Level 1

Duplicate W2 Forms

I am retired and in 2018 received deferred compensation from my previous employer. 

This seems a little strange, but my previous employer mailed me five identical copies of my W2 form.  Each came in a separate envelope.  All of the boxes on each of the  W2's contain the same information.  The only difference between the W2's are in the employer use only box.  My question is should I be concerned.  All responses appreciated. Thank you

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KarenL
Employee Tax Expert

Duplicate W2 Forms

Yes, definitely contact the former employer to find out what happened in your situation.  They may need to file Corrected W-2 forms with the IRS and state, if applicable.    If they were produced and sent in error, it's possible the IRS received multiple as well.  If that is the case, it's likely the IRS' computerized systems will not recognize this as an error. 

Normally when multiple copies are sent it is due to multiple state earnings, or there are  too many codes for Box 12 so it carries over onto another form.  That said, I have seen legitimate cases where multiple W-2s were sent but the amounts were different.  This can happen if a company is sold/transferred (or other reasons) and they close out certain accounts on a specified date.   

It's best to know what is going on and take action if needed. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Duplicate W2 Forms

Suggest calling their HR department and ask about it
KarenL
Employee Tax Expert

Duplicate W2 Forms

Yes, definitely contact the former employer to find out what happened in your situation.  They may need to file Corrected W-2 forms with the IRS and state, if applicable.    If they were produced and sent in error, it's possible the IRS received multiple as well.  If that is the case, it's likely the IRS' computerized systems will not recognize this as an error. 

Normally when multiple copies are sent it is due to multiple state earnings, or there are  too many codes for Box 12 so it carries over onto another form.  That said, I have seen legitimate cases where multiple W-2s were sent but the amounts were different.  This can happen if a company is sold/transferred (or other reasons) and they close out certain accounts on a specified date.   

It's best to know what is going on and take action if needed. 

MM1
Level 1

Duplicate W2 Forms

Thank you for your answer.

I share the same concerns that multiple duplicate W2's will raise a red flag with the IRS computers.  

Yesterday, I contacted both the HR and Payroll departments at my previous employer.  Their records show that only one W2 was created.   I now have a case number on record and a person to call in the payroll department if needed.  

Thanks again for your help.

KarenL
Employee Tax Expert

Duplicate W2 Forms

You're welcome!  Hope it gets resolved soon! 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies