turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

gh
Returning Member

Distributions from Widely Held Fixed Investment Trust (WHFIT)

I received distributions of principal and interest from mortgage instruments in a widely held fixed investment trust (WHFIT) that were recorded in the tax year, but not paid until after the end of the tax year (January).  TurboTax will not accept the acquisition and sale dates for these transactions because they do not occur within the tax year.  How can I resolve this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

In order to report the distribution for 2017, it needs to have taken place in 2017.  You will use the date of distribution, not the date you were paid, to report this transaction.  You did receive a 1099-B or another tax document, correct?  If you did not receive a tax document, consult with the WHFIT custodian to determine the tax year this distribution should be reported.

jca09
Returning Member

My bank says the 1099-B reflects the WHFIT's requirement to report income based on the year it was earned rather than distributed. However, TurboTax is flagging this as an error because the date does not fall within the tax year. How should I accurately report this information in TurboTax without triggering an error?

DianeW777
Employee Tax Expert

It depends. If the date is after 2023, you can enter a date of December 31, 2023 to eliminate an error for your widely held fixed investment trust (WHFIT).

@jca09 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
jca09
Returning Member

@DianeW777 -- thank you so much. I can do that. I just wanted to make sure those weren't line items I should hold for my 2024 tax year return. Do you happen to know?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies