Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

2018 single tax issues

I'm hoping I am not the only person who has run into this problem. I got divorced last year and forgot to change my Married withholding to Single it seems ( no idea how that happened) so I know that when I file I will file single which will most likely from what I have read have me paying in. My question is, I am also a single mother, full time employed and full time student. Will this oversight mess with being able to claim any of the credits I would have otherwise been able to claim with school and my child etc.. Also what is the likelihood of still having to pay in with all of that. Its a long shot but maybe someone has some possible light to shed on all this for me. Thank You.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Carl
Level 15

2018 single tax issues

No, this will in no way, form or fashion affect you claiming any and all credits and deductions you are entitled too. But by "divorced last year" if you got divorced in 2017, and you are the "custodial parent" as defined by the IRS (not by any court order you may have) then you very well may be able to file Head of Household instead of single. That increases your standard deduction from $12K to $18K for the 2018 tax year. The requirements to file HOH are covered at https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/family/guide-to-filing-taxes-as-head-of-household/L4Nx6DYu9

Carl
Level 15

2018 single tax issues

On yeah, as a full time student that means you can also claim your daycare costs paid so you can attend school, in addition to attending your full time job. Then add to that any other education deductions and credits you may qualify for, and it's perfectly possible that you will "at least" break even and not owe the IRS a penny, if you don't end up getting "something" of a refund.

2018 single tax issues

It isn't a mess, what you file on your tax return does not have to be the same as what you claimed during the year.  You may owe tax but it's not possible to make a guess at that with all the other factors at play.  Just fill out your tax return when you can to see the results.  And no, you receive the same credits you would have always been eligible for.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies