turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

egizzi
Returning Member

1041 Trust return and Withdrawals

This is a basic question about trusts and withdrawals.

My children (17 and 20 years old) each have complex trusts. Last year we took funds out of their trusts to pay for education (per the terms of the trust document). The payments went directly to the respective schools. I am not sure how to proceed on the 1041. Since they are beneficiaries, do I proceed as such even though the check did not go to them, but rather to the school? If I have to declare these withdrawals as beneficiary withdrawals, I assume they will generate a K1 for each child (please correct if not true). Do I then have to report the K1 on their individual returns, and will that be taxable? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

1041 Trust return and Withdrawals

The trust will issue a K-1 to each beneficiary to report the taxable portion of the distribution.  Your children will report the K-1 on their individual tax returns.  The distribution is considered taxable income.  However, the amount and type of income received will determine if taxes are due.

Any education expenses paid, which are reported on Form 1098-T, Tuition Statement, can be used to claim education deductions or credits.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies