Level 2

After you file



We filed a joint return and then filed an injured spouse claim after the IRS sent the refund to the student loans. Now we would like to file an amendment for a separate return after the IRS sent us the check after they processed the injured spouse claim. What is the best way to to amend the return ? Call the IRS and send back the check before amending or just amend and the IRS will send us a letter about sending back the check ?