Accepting payments via Venmo or Quickbooks Online

Hello,

I have clients that would like to pay on apps like Venmo, but I understand you need to create a business profile on the app and fees will come with doing business transactions via Venmo. Similarly, I have a Quickbooks Online account and saw that you can take credit card payments directly for a fee.  I would like to offer either option to my clients, but the transaction amount can sometimes be so high that accepting credit cards could cost upwards of $200.00 in fees per transaction. Is it possible to allow the option of Venmo or Quickbooks Online to my clients, but pass on the fee to them if they choose to pay via Venmo or via credit card on Quickbooks? My business tends to check only, but I would like to give them the option of convenience if they take on the fee.

KarenP12
Expert Alumni

Self employed

Hi @NatashaVictoria 

This is a tricky area as some of this is controlled by states and some by credit card processing agreements which prevent an upcharge for credit card processing.  Here is an example from the state of Michigan.  Here is an example from Visa.

So please check for your particular state and your credit card vendors if there are any issues, but it appears that this restriction has been relaxed back in 2013.  It appears in both articles that you may not surcharge pre-paid cards or debit cards and that information will need to be posted up front that you do surcharge.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"