JBJ
Level 3

Usher Voice: These Are My (I've Bought Something Really Dumb in the Last 60 Days) Confessions

I've got a thread going on how to live frugally on another board here, and I'm getting great tips (thanks Team). 

Figured I'd start one on, "Okay, I gotta confess to things I've recently bought and immediately regretted." 

I bought a winter coat recently (a month or so ago). It was on sale. I live in a warm weather climate. I already have a perfectly fine winter coat. There was literally no reason to buy it. But I did. And when it arrived, whatever void I thought it was gonna fill, well, spoiler alert, it didn't. At most I'll wear it 5 - 10 days a year. At. Most. Immediate regret. 

Leaving this to hopefully dissuade me, as a reminder, from doing something similarly dumb these next two months. 

Anyone else recently buy something they almost immediately felt guilty/poorly about? 

Your money stories

I do these kinds of things all the time. For me, an even smaller one made me feel really guilty. I was just skiing and in 3 days I bought 3 chapsticks because I kept losing them in my bag and jacket. When I got home I found all 3. While chapstick isn't expensive, it made me realize how little effort I put in to avoid wasting. 

CheriS
Intuit Alumni

Your money stories

I buy multiple chapsticks with no shame or guilt. They are my weakness! If it makes you feel any better, put those 3 chapsticks in your emergency to-go bag. They are super useful, alternative fire starter and waterproofer. 

jlohani
Intuit Alumni

Your money stories

Yeah. I bought a new pair of earrings. After I just got two new pairs for my birthday (2 weeks ago). All three are gold hoops. I have NO idea why.

Bad/Good news: the pair i just bought were actually kind of broken. So more reason to go return.

JBJ
Level 3

Your money stories

Dumb buy of the week: 

A pair of sunglasses last weekend. I literally don't wear sunglasses. Well, okay, I wear 'em every once in a while. But not enough to justify now having three pairs. WHY? What is wrong with me? 

Goal for the rest of '19: no more darn sunglasses. So, so, dumb. 

hansolo

Your money stories

As I have recently moved in across the street from Universal studios, I felt it to be a good idea to buy an annual pass to the theme park. I have to work and go to school and will probably only make it to the park a few times a month (if even that) but it seemed like a smarter idea to purchase the annual pass (for only $100 more than a daily ticket) than just to purchase a daily ticket or just to not even go in the first place and work on my responsibilities.