Stimulus

Where is my stimulus I’ve been with turbo tax for yearssssss..... an all my direct deposit has henn the same, where is my second stimulus 

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

Other financial discussions

We are happy to share that stimulus payments will begin to be deposited on January 8th for millions of our customers affected by the IRS error. We expect most of these payments to be available that day, but banks could take a few business days to process.

Payment will be deposited into the same bank account that customers received their 2019 tax refund.

Customers receiving a stimulus payment will receive an email from TurboTax letting them know their stimulus payment is on the way. We have been working tirelessly with the Treasury and IRS to get stimulus payments to our customers. We know how important these funds are for so many Americans and we regret that an IRS error caused a delay.

Please note the following page for additional information: Why Haven’t I Received My Second Stimulus Check? 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hello & thank you for your time! I too have filed with turbo tax for almost 10 years & received the 1 EIP no problem. I however didn’t receive this email. I suspect it’s because the most recent information you or the IRS has on file for me is 2018 because I had zero income ( like many others ) . But I’ve been consistently filing for years. Would simply not filing for one year because I had zero income during a pandemic possibly be why I haven’t gotten the EIP2? According to the chat from TT says the most “recent information on file” which for me hasn’t changed. I can’t get a clear answer on if I should hope for an EIP2 or because I wasn’t a 2019 filer I don’t qualify. 

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

Did you receive the first EIP payment?   If yes, you should get the 2nd the same way you got the first one.   If no, then you will need to file a 2020 tax return (even if you did not have any income) in order to get both payments.   Filing a 2019 tax has nothing to do with qualifying for the payments.   If you qualify, you will get them, whether or not you filed a tax return.  

The same eligibility rules apply to the second stimulus payment as the first one. You must have a valid Social Security number, and you can’t have been claimed as a dependent on someone else’s 2019 tax return.  @kimunaffected

I absolutely did receive the 1st one for myself and dependents. But the 2nd one has the dreaded message that everyone who hasn’t received a deposit also has. I have the same account that 2018 return and EIP1 was deposited. But your reply gives me hope.  Thank you. 

Is it possible that because when I filed in 2018 I had my fees taken from my refund I could be in this mixup ? I didn’t receive an email. But did use Santa Barbra bank when I filed in 2018?

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, having fees taken from your refund could definitely be a factor.  The problem the IRS had this week was with those 3rd party payment processors.  The good news is that those payments started being deposited today!  So, it is quite possible that you could see the deposit in the next few days (or even today).  

Worst case scenario is that is doesn't show in the next few days and you claim it on the 2020 tax return.  In that case, your payment will be delayed until you file, but in either case, you can rest assured that you will get all of the payments you qualify for!  @kimunaffected

Truly appreciate it! Thank you! 

Hello again Dawn, so I made some progress. While I can’t verify for sure I was issued an EIP2 I did verify that my account information on file is a turbo card that has been closed due to inactivity. 
Turbo card customer service said EIP2 would be rejected & the IRS would re issue a check, BUT the IRS FAQ website said IF a bank rejects you must wait and claim the rebate on tax return. Do you know which would be more accurate? Was the check re issue part of this work being done this last week? I did pay fees out of my 2018 return. 

DanielV01
Expert Alumni

In this public forum we unfortunately won't have access to that information.  In the next few days you should have information updated with the IRS' website that might provide more clarity, but that information is entirely with the IRS.  However, in a worst-case scenario where you are unable to receive direct deposit and the IRS is unable to mail you a check or debit card for the stimulus, then you would have to claim the stimulus as additional refund on the 2020 tax return.