tottzy5

Stimulus check problem

For 2019 I qualified for eic because my 19 year old son went to school full time. I did not claim him as a dependent though, because he made to much to qualify.  He filed his own tax returns for both 2018 and 2019. He received them both by March (in 2019 and 2020, respectively). He has not gotten a stimulus check. IRS says that payment status not available. Since I didn't claim him as a dependent, shouldn't he qualify? Is their anything he can do?

Other financial discussions

You should have claimed him as a dependent.  There is no max income if he is a full time student and under 23.  You should amend your returns.  Did he file as independent or did he check the dependent box?

Who can I claim as a dependent?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/credits-and-deductions/help/who-can-i-claim-as-my-dependent/00/267...

tottzy5

He filed as an independent. When I filed, turbo tax said he didn't qualify as a dependent because he made over $4200. Can I still amend my return?

Yes you can amend.  If your son is a full-time student you can claim him as a dependent no matter how much he made.  The $4200 if only if he is not a full-time student and is 19 or older.  As long as he is in school you can claim him until he turns 24.  While he is a full-time student he can be claimed as a qualifying child--even if he lives away at school.  Being away at school is a "temporary absence" so you say he lived with you.  He must say on his own return that he can be claimed as a dependent on someone else's return--so if he did not say that, he has to amend too.

Dependents do not get a stimulus check, so he will not receive that.  But you can claim the education credits on your own return while he is your dependent; if you otherwise qualify for EIC you can still get EIC for claiming him, and file as Head of Household -- unless you file a joint return.

If needed, you can amend both 2018 and 2019 returns to claim your son as your dependent.  Amended returns take a long time to be processed, but it should make a difference for you.

How do I amend my 2019 TurboTax Online return?

A 1040X cannot be e-filed.  It must be printed and mailed.  It will take about 4 months for the IRS to process an amended return.  It is a good idea to use a mailing service that will track it, like UPS or certified mail, so you will know it was received.

Wait about 3 weeks from mailing and you can check the status of your amended return:

https://www.irs.gov/Filing/Individuals/Amended-Returns-(Form-1040-X)/Wheres-My-Amended-Return-1

https://www.irs.gov/filing/individuals/amended-returns-form-1040-x/amended-return-frequently-asked-q...

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1908543-do-i-need-to-amend

WHO CAN I CLAIM AS A DEPENDENT?

You can claim a child, relative, friend, fiance (etc.) as a dependent on your 2019 taxes as long as they meet the following requirements:

Qualifying child

• They are related to you.

• They cannot be claimed as a dependent by someone else.

• They are a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or   Mexican resident.

• They are not filing a joint return with their spouse.

• They are under the age of 19 (or 24 for full-time students).

• No age limit for permanently and totally disabled children

They live with you for more than half the year (exceptions apply).

Qualifying relative

• They don't have to be related to you (despite the name).

• They cannot be claimed as a dependent by someone else.

• They are a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or Mexican resident.

• They are not filing a joint return with their spouse.

They lived with you the entire year.

• They made less than $4200  (not counting Social Security)

• You provided more than half of their financial support. More info

When you add someone as a dependent, we'll ask a series of questions to make sure you can claim them.

Related Information:

Does a dependent have to live with me?

What does "financially support another person" mean?

Can I claim a newborn baby?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**