Stimulus/ Amended Return Delay

Have a stimulus/amended return issue and I'm hoping someone can help provide some insight.

So I hit all the qualifications for a stimulus check and did not receive one. I believe it's due to a combination of the following:

2019 Return: Due to a W2 error, I had to make an amendment a few months back. I am aware that with the IRS extremely backed up and with amendments returns being paper only, I'm most likely not going to have a processed return until (hopefully) the end of August. Leaving my return unable for the IRS to reference for the previous stimulus qualification.

2018 Return: In 2018 I mistakingly noted on my turbo tax return that "I could be claimed" as a dependent. Although I was mistaken and my parents did not end up claiming me or attempt to (after speaking with their accountant, as I was 24 and not enrolled in any college that year as a FT student).

Now I'm assuming that due to this I was marked as inelgiable for a stimulus.

Any thoughts if the IRS will send a delayed stimulus once my amended return is processed? Or if I simply missed the time frame and will fall through the cracks here.

Or perhaps whether I'd be able to call the IRS and be considered eligible for the missedstimulus? Given my 2019 is pending and in 2018 I was not actually claimed as a dependent by anyone nor was a even able to be.

Any insight would be appreciated, from the last time I checked calling the IRS only resulting in automated systems. Not sure if that changed recently.

RobertG
Expert Alumni

Other financial discussions

The IRS may process your 2019 return and send you a stimulus check.

If not, you will not fall through the cracks. 

The stimulus is a 2020 tax credit, so when you file your 2020 return you will be able to claim a refundable credit for any stimulus payment you did not receive.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post