KaylaLee333
Returning Member

Can I be claimed on SSI

I am on SSI and so is my mother and this question may seem dumb but Idk the qualifications for this specific thing

See my mother and I don't get along and I wouldn't put it past her to try and screw me over somehow to benefit herself

So is it possible for her to claim me as a dependent when I am on SSI with no job and I am not liveing with her and haven't for the last 3 years

Weather it's falsely or legally

Is there a possible way she could try that if she is on SSI to with no job

Further more can she legally or illegal try to claim me as a child under her roof or something to that effect for the stimulis check stuff because I am mentally disabled? Like Idk what would qualify ir not 

But I live in my own home away from her abd my only income is SSI

with my SSN and Birth certificate (She remembers the SSN and honestly I know for a fact that she has my certificate and trys to act like she dosen't)

Like if she can do it illegaly somehow I need to call places and check ane such if she did try and If not and if legally why and how???

Other financial discussions

Assuming you are over age 18 and over 23 if a full-time student:

You do not need to live with her for her to claim you but she must pay more than  half of your total support for the year in order to do so.  If SSI is your only income then it does not count for the $4,200 limit.

---Tests to be a Qualifying Relative (& Unrelated Persons)---
(Must meet ALL of these tests to be a dependent)

1. The person cannot be your qualifying child or the qualifying child of any other taxpayer.

2. The person either must be related to you, or must live with you all year (all 365 days - There are exceptions for temporary absences such as school, illness, business, vacation, military service) as a member of your household.

3. The person's gross income for the year must be less than $4,200 (tax-exempt income, such as certain social security benefits, is not included in gross income)

4. You must provide more than half of the person's total support** for the year.

5. The person is not filing a joint return.

In any case, the person must be a U.S. citizen, U.S. resident alien, U.S. national, or a resident of Canada or Mexico

The above is simplified; see IRS Publication 501 for full information.
https://www.irs.gov/publications/p501#en_US_2018_publink1000220939

** Worksheet for determining support
https://www.irs.gov/publications/p501#en_US_2019_publink1000226268

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
KaylaLee333
Returning Member

Well I haven't lived with her for about 3 years now I do not get income from her

I do not have a job of any kind I am on SSI for mental disability but I am competent enough to be my own Payee

And idk how to do any of the extra stuff u mentioned

Dose that mean she still can or?

KaylaLee333
Returning Member

And I am in G.E.D classes that I take 12 hours a week i dont know if that part counts or not and I pay the small fee every quarter for my classes and I am at the age of 21 years of age

I just need a direct yes or no answer I am sorry if my reply seems repetitive to my question I am not exactly greate at comprehending these sorts of things...

@KaylaLee333 wrote:

Well I haven't lived with her for about 3 years now I do not get income from her

Then you cannot be a dependent.    Not much that you can do if you do not file a tax return.  You can, but a zero tax return cannot be e-filed, must be mail filed.  That "might" start a IRS investigation, but expect a year or so.

Also:

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/how-do-you-report-suspected-tax-fraud-activity

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
KaylaLee333
Returning Member

Well it's good to know that she can't legaly do it

And thank you for the link and your help let's just hope she doesn't try to do it illegally