Why am I being forced to purchase TurboTax Premier?

So for one extra form, I am being forced to purchase Premier that cost more than what I made from selling my stocks? How is this fair? Now I understand why people dislike Turbo so much and why you all fight so hard to make filing taxes impossible for the common man. I just want to be able to manually enter my 1099-B form without being forced to pay $70 for "help" I DO NOT need.

Investing

Perhaps you would be happier if you used the desktop (CD/download) software then.  All versions have all of the forms and schedules and you could use Deluxe.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Investing

Deluxe costs the same as getting the premier on the website, unless I'm missing something I don't see how that makes it better? @xmasbaby0 

Investing

well.....I hate to say this..... you could always go "old school" and do it all by hand......   TT has to make its money somehow to deliver the service (and provide the guarantee against errors, etc). 

Try taxslayer.com - I hear their ads and on the surface it's cheaper; however, the -step x step isn't as good as TT. (i've used it for volunteer work) 

it's the old adage "you get what you pay for"

p.s. the benefit of the downloaded version is you can do multiple returns (think friends and family) for one fixed price.  I do 4 family member returns each year for the price of one deluxe copy.  I think it cost me about $70. 

Investing

@Miguel0514 You can easily purchase desktop software at many retailers like Amazon, Costco, Walmart, Sams Club, Best Buy, Target, etc. etc. etc. for less than the online TT price.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Investing

I’m in same boat as you. There’s really no way to getting around it. I’ve asked and looked around. I lm using the online version and was told to use the desktop or downloaded one to avoid the extra cost. Problem is that I only have a chrome book so that wouldn’t work. Guess just gotta suck it up and pay the extra fee to TT

Investing

It helps to know ahead of time, which version to buy.  If you know which forms you'll need in advance, I've always done well simply buying the appropriate disc (Premier) at Costco every Dec/Jan, when it's ALWAYS on sale.  TT does a good job explaining how the software is different for different situations. 

Either way, even if you have to buy a form, I'm sure you'll be spending less than you would be paying a CPA.  

eagle747

Investing

I ask the same question. Why should I pay for an upgrade when I am all done with my taxes . My State taxes should be $24. 99 not $44.99..

If I wanted an upgrade to turbo tax I would have ordered that in the first place. I don't want the upgraded version why should I pay for it?

Investing

Did you purchase desktop software with state software included?  They sell Deluxe both with and without state software--so you have to be careful which one you choose.  If you choose the one without state software it is $44.99 to download state software.  Or if you need a second different state it is $44.99.    And even if it does have the state software download included, that is for preparing the state.  There is an extra fee to e-file the state.  You can avoid the $24.99 state e-file fee if you print and mail the state instead of e-filing it.

Ebro

Investing

IF I had waited I could have "done my taxes" for "free".

Per the Fidelity website that I use for investing every day, TurboTax is FREE.

This is the quote from Fidelity's site. 

I paid $140 this year.

Too bad they don't off "rebates" to those customers.

=======================================

"Get TurboTax® Online Premier free

• Receive a free federal and state tax return
  • TurboTax® will automatically import your Fidelity account info
  • Get your refund quickly by direct depositing into your Fidelity account"
  • ==================================

TurboTax1.jpg