Timeline for a credit line to be removed

As a 25 year old, I had no credit as I’d lived on the “dont buy it unless you have cash for it” mentality. When ready to buy a house, I spent 2 years building credit. I was added as an authorized user on my parents Amex to help bump my score. Well, I’ve been a homeowner for over a year now and have been removed as an authorized user on the card. However, it still shows on my reports and affects my score because it looks like my debt to income ratio is very high. Do I need to file something to have it removed from my profile or will their spending continue to affect my credit score for a certain number of years?
Carl
Level 15

Credit cards

" have been removed as an authorized user on the card"

That doesn't matter. The information remains on your credit report for anywhere from 3-10 years (generally 5 years for a credit card). It will not fall off your credit report until "AFTER" that particular account is closed. Once closed, if the issuer notifies the credit bureaus then it will be marked as "closed" on your credit report, and will remain on your credit report as such for at least three years generally.

Basically, I "think" the issuer can mark it on "your" credit report as closed. But I'm not sure. If the account is actually still open, there's nothing to keep the current authorized user(s) from adding you back as such.

Credit cards

If you have been removed as an Authorized User (AU) then Amex reports the "removal" to the bureaus. I was an AU on my wife's AmEx and Chase. I just checked my Experian File. The AmEx is still on my report in the Closed Account section and is marked terminated. The Chase card I was an AU on is TOTALLY DELETED from my Experian Report.
You mentioned Debt to Income (DTI). DTI only factors into OPEN accounts. If you have been removed then the Debt (balance) they have is not attached to you. Suggest you contact AmEx directly and ask them. Quickest way to find out is to sign up for a free account at Experian. It will show you Open and Closed Accounts. If the AmEx is in the Open Account section then it IS factored in your DTI. If it's in the Closed Account section then DTI is NOT factored in. Let me know how it turned out [PII Removed]

View solution in original post

Credit cards

Thanks for your help and suggestions. Update: Amex had not “closed” the account under my name, but had basically “paused” my status as an authorized user. They’ve now changed the account to closed and said that it should show on my credit report in 30-45 days. Crossing fingers to see a big difference in my credit score. Thanks again!

Carl
Level 15

Credit cards

While it could help, I doubt you'll see any significant improvement in your credit right away, by just having it closed. But you will see "something" each month as you continue to pay it off and lower your DTI ratio. That is of course, assuming you don't cancel things out by incurring more debt elsewhere to "replace" the debt you're paying off.

Credit cards

Yes I would say so because there is a lot of Miss use

Credit cards

Yes I would say so because there is a lot of Miss use
Ashley

Credit cards

This is false
Ashley

Credit cards

You can file to dispute with all three credit monitoring companies (experian, transunion, equifax ) check the option “ no longer assosciate or responsibile for this acct” ask for it to be removed. There are credit laws for stuff like this . U can get that removed . I did the same thing with one of my moms cards, they took it right off no issues.. i suggest downloading credit karma.. u can do most disputes for two of the companies through that app and go online for the third.. also the card may not show up on all three reports either so then u woldnt have to worry about it

Credit cards

UPDATE: Thanks for all the responses and help! I got my dad to call American Express again and specifically tell them to close the account in my name, instead of just removing me as an authorized user. They did so at the beginning of January, so it has now been reported to the credit bureaus and my score increased by 104 points! Thanks for the advice!

Credit cards

This did the trick!! Thank you so much. My score increased by 104 points just by specifically asking for what you suggested.
Mitchh144

Credit cards

I had 3 deaths at once in my immediate family and couldn't hold it together. I lost my job after and filed bankruptcy in 2014. I'm a former bank mgr and had always had great credit. Filing was one of the toughest things I've ever had to do (I was sued by a card company) so forced.
Anyway, my credit score is 795 thanks to Captain spy (A former Experian staff) whom a lender referred me to when I had a poor credit score but now I've been able to get 2 Capital One cards, one a rewards card and 2 Chase, with a credit limit of 4k and 5k on the capital one, 7k and 7.5k on the chase card respectively. I have been approved of this with the assistance of the referrer who helped me clear all negative item, collection, boost my score to 795 (Excellent) and finally added tradeline to my credit profile. Now I have nothing negative, no collections, just a little note that says I filed in 2014, and a good score. Thanks captain spy you can also contact him if you need similar assistance on [email address removed] or [phone number removed] his service is guarantee

Conniee14

Credit cards

I had a foreclosure in-lieu-of in 2015 as my husband left me with everything and after 2 and a half years, I could no longer pay the bills and mortgage myself. A decision was made against me in 2016. I only found this information out a few months ago (2018) saying I owe over 43K. I have not received any other mail except this and I am now on long term disability. I have no way of paying this back and I want to apply for a home loan but wasn't granted due to bad report on my credit. I explained my situation to a close financial adviser, due to our closeness he confided to me about this credit agency who had worked with the credit bureau for decades 'Cyber Hack' She gave me his contact [email address removed] I contact him and explained my situation, he guaranty me he'll help me out and to my greatest surprised he helped me clear all debt on my credit report, remove items on it and finally add tradelines. I still doubted if this won't come back to my report even after I confirmed his good worked on the three credit bureau, he answered boldly No and up to a year now no debt has come back, I applied for loan few weeks ago and I was granted. Anyone who have similar situation should contact only this credit agency on [phone number removed]

Credit cards

Never had the slightest believe my score could move from 425 to 750 within 14 working days and my collections removed. All thanks to RAY Associates. RAY was a major help too. God Bless RAYMOND for helping me and my family realize the dream of homeownership become a reality. <email removed> was very helpful recently with all of my concerns.
Thanks!