I am active duty military, I claim FL as my permanent residence but live in MD. Which state do I claim state sales tax deduction?

I'm stationed in MD and own a home in MD.  My permanent residence is FL.

DS30

Tax help for military filers

Yes, you will use the FL general sales tax rate if your state of legal residence is FL when taking the state sales tax deduction.

You can use this helpful state sales tax calculator link : http://www.taxrates.com/calculator/ to get your general state sales tax rate.

To enter this transaction in TurboTax, log into your tax return (for TurboTax Online sign-in, click Here and click on "Take me to my return") type "Sales Tax Deduction" in the search bar then select "jump to Sales Tax Deduction". TurboTax will guide you in entering this information.

Just make sure that you are letting the TurboTax system know that you are on active military duty.

You may need to edit your personal information under the Personal Info tab (for TurboTax Online sign-in, click Here) to let the TurboTax system know that you are in the U.S. Armed Forces.

You need to make sure that you select yes -"I am a member or former member of the U.S. Armed Forces (active, reserve or National Guard)".

Also answer "no" to "I lived in another state". Even though you may have lived in a different state, this will not apply if you are on active military service in a state other than your home of record state. (see screenshots)

View solution in original post