shea08
Returning Member

How do I attach a copy of mil. orders for federal active duty under Title 10 in the state of ND? For deduction of fed act duty compensation in calc ND taxable income.

There was no area known to allow for attachment of Title 10 orders within turbotax. Is there  a method of sending the orders to ND Office of State Tax Commissioner? Same question has been sent to individualtax at nd dot gov

DanaB27
Expert Alumni

Tax help for military filers

According to the North Dakota Office of State Tax Commissioner Guideline - Income Tax: Military Service members you do not have to attach any orders to your tax return to claim the deduction of your federal active duty compensation.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
shea08
Returning Member

What page and paragraph does it say that a copy of orders are not required? I couldn't find that mentioned. 

The state tax form specifically requests it and so does the turbotax software when I entered the amount in. 

ToddL99
Expert Alumni

There is no requirement to attach a copy of your military orders to a ND state tax return. 

Neither the 2020 North Dakota Individual Income Tax instructions,  Form ND-1 2020 or Military Service Members Income Tax Guideline list any requirement to attach a copy of your military orders to the state tax return.

If you are a resident of ND, your active-duty military income is taxable.

-   From Military Service Members Income Tax Guideline  If you are a service member who is domiciled in North Dakota all year and are required to file a federal income tax return, you are required to file a North Dakota income tax return. You are subject to North Dakota income tax on all of your income regardless of its source. This applies regardless of where you are stationed during the year.

If you are stationed in ND, but not a ND resident, your military income is exempt from ND tax under the Soldier and Sailor;s Civil Relief Act.

If you are a military retiree and resident of ND, your retired military pay is exempt from ND tax.