michimish

How to file taxes with a disability severance pay from the military?

ToddL

Tax help for military filers

When were you separated and have you applied for (or received) a VA disability rating?
michimish

July of 2016 and I did apply for a VA disability rating. I was medically separated.
ToddL

No VA determination yet?
michimish

I have everything done. And VA made a determination last May.
ToddL

I need to add the attached sample screens - give me a moment
michimish

Can part of this be done through Turbo Tax or all documentation has to be mailed to the IRS?
ToddL

You can do all of this in TurboTax but will have to file your return by mail so you can attach the cover letter and VA Award
michimish

So fill it out on TurboTax and print it to file the return by mail? Is that correct? Also what does the cover letter look like?
ToddL

I attached a sample "1040X_-_COVER_LTR....)
ToddL

Hope this was helpful!
michimish

I'm sorry! I didn't see it. Thank you very much!!!
marcydiaz

This is my first time filing since getting my severance, are you saying that after I do everything online and submit my return through TurboTax, i also have to print it out and mail it to the IRS? Also is there a place to submit my supporting documents online? Or is that why print and send?
marcydiaz

This is my first time filing since getting my severance, are you saying that after I do everything online and submit my return through TurboTax, i also have to print it out and mail it to the IRS? Also is there a place to submit my supporting documents online? Or is that why print and send?