free1776

How do I add an additional SSA-1099 for my dependent? I already have entered a SSA-1099 for myself

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

Retirement tax questions

You do not enter Form 1099-SSA for a dependent on your tax return.  If the dependent has other income and is required to file a tax return, the income goes on his or her return.  If the social security is the dependent's only income, it is not taxable, and no return is required to be filed. 

[Edited February 7, 2020. 1:00 PM PST]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
free1776

Retirement tax questions

This is for my child. He has a separate SSA-1099. I only have the option on TurboTax to add income for myself and my wife. That is the problem

ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Retirement tax questions

@ free1776

That is correct. You never enter your child's Form SSA-1099 on your own return. If she is not required to file, just keep it for your records.

ken70

Retirement tax questions

I was not prompted nor can I add SSA-1099-SM for my wife. 

Retirement tax questions

@ken70 wrote:

I was not prompted nor can I add SSA-1099-SM for my wife. 

If you are filing as  Married Filing Jointly then both of your names are shown for entering the amounts from box 5 of each SSA-1099 received.

To enter Social Security benefits reported on form SSA-1099

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Wages and Income (Personal Income using Home and Business)
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
  • Scroll down to Retirement Plans and Social Security
  • On Social Security (SSA-1099, RRB-1099), click the start or update button

Or enter ssa-1099 in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen. Click on Jump to ssa-1099

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Retirement tax questions

Two issues to fix. One, your dependents form, does NOT go on your return. If the dependent does not have other income that requires them to file, just stick their info in your tax file for reference.

Two, your wife's 1099-SM. Follow these steps,  Where do I enter an SSA-1099, SSA-1099-SM, or SSA-1099-R-OP1?

@ken70

[Edited 03/20/20 | 4:23pm PST]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"