salnurse1

1099R

My husband passed away and I am receiving his pension.  I still work. The Distribution number on the 1099R is 2, which means early withdrawal. I am going to call and ask them to change the number but don't know which one it should be. Please tell me. Thank you.

MinhT1
Expert Alumni

Retirement tax questions

If you are receiving a distribution from the pension of your deceased husband, the code in box 7 should be 4 - Death.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

beadcrzy

Retirement tax questions

My husband passed in October,  I received $500 benefit.  The 1099R has box 4 marked as "death".  TurboTax now thinks I am dead and wants to know how old I  would be now.  How do I deal with this, as I obviously am not dead.  I cannot proceed with the return.

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

Retirement tax questions

I'm sorry for your loss.

I believe you are filing a joint return return with your spouse, so things can be confusing. It may be that when you entered the form 1099-R, you indicated that it was for the wrong person. Whose ever name is on the form you need to make sure you indicated that when you entered the form in TurboTax. That is the person to whom the questions are being addressed.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
dmertz
Level 15

Retirement tax questions

In other words, TurboTax is asking about the age of your husband, not how old you are.