What all forms do I need to attach in order to mail in tax returns? For state return it says: "Staple the state copy of w-2 and 1099-R to the front of the return."

I am not sure that I even have a 1099-R. My federal says: "attach the first copy or copy b of your w-2" does this just mean the entire printout of my tax information?? Thanks in advance.
JulieS
Employee Tax Expert

Retirement tax questions

If you are not retired, you probably don't have a 1099-R form. The instructions list every form you might need to attach, but most taxpayers only have W2 forms. 

Attach one copy of each of your W2 forms. Usually Copy B is used for the federal and Copy 1 is used for the state.

If you have any other forms that show income you received and taxes withheld, attach a copy of that as well. 

You don't have to attach any receipts or similar documents to the return. 

Most states require a copy of the federal to be attached to your state. If that is required in your state, Turbo Tax will print out a second Form 1040 to send to your state. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Retirement tax questions

If I decide to let Turbo Tax file my return, how to I get the copy of my Form 1099-R to my Form 1040 and to the state return?

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

Retirement tax questions

@j44c38 Your don't need to send any forms if you have TurboTax e-file your tax return. You only do that if you mail your return in.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"