shadow1

How do I enter arrears of my deceased husband's military retirement pay without TurboTax treating it like an IRA that needed RMD's taken out if it?

I received a 1099-R.

Retirement tax questions

type the 1099-R EXACTLY as it's presented to you....not following what back pay ('arrears') has to do with an IRA / RMD..... (especially make sure the codes are correctly typed) and answer any questions TT asked. 

ReginaM
Expert Alumni

Retirement tax questions

The 1099-R should show Code 4 in Box 7, this indicates that the distribution was due to death.  You should double check how you entered the information in TurboTax.   After you enter your Form 1099-R, be sure to walk through the follow-up Turbo tax questions so that the military retirement pay you received is reported properly on your return.  I am sorry for your loss.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Retirement tax questions

...AND...and if he was age 70.5 or older in 2019, then the RMD question is always asked for any 1099-R form, even on a Retirement/Pension $$ in which you have no control over the RMD amounts.  When asked this for that Military 1099-R, you just answer YES...it was an RMD, and all of the RMD was received. 

(OK, I suspect there will be some with certain box 7 codes where the RMD question will not be asked...but you must use whatever box 7 codes are on your 1099-R)

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
shadow1

Retirement tax questions

Thank you for your kind reply.  I correctly entered the info but still treats the military arrear pay as an rmd.  I went to the other big online tax preparation service and I can enter the information with them correctly.  There program is set up so you have a spot to check off for arrears of a military pension on a deceased spouse which unfortunately TurboTax does not offer.  Once again thank you for your reply