richard70

1099R

It does not ask for info from box 1 through 3.

it says I a am a railroad employee and won't let me change.

I am not a rail road employee or retiree.

How can you figure my tax if you don't ask for income from box 1 of the 1099R?

Retirement tax questions

When you get to the table of 1099-R forms, delete that one and start a new one.

Then ...slowly.....step thru the pages that follow.....there is a page that shows several 1099-R form types....do NOT click on the RRB-1099-R  (That's the railroad one...you may have accidentally clicked on that one the first time thru))  ...There are also CSA- and CSF-1099-R forms for several "civilian" Federal retirements.  All else, including Military, are just the simple 1099-R form.

And if you get Social Security, the SSA-1099 is one place lower down in the main income menu

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
min77

Retirement tax questions

Turbo Tax has W2 income first. Do I fill that out from my 1099R form?

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

Retirement tax questions

It will not make any difference if you do the W-2 or the 1099-R first.  What is of most concern is that you can identify all of the information and post it.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Retirement tax questions

@min77 

Absolutely NOT

A W-2 is not a 1099-R form.  The 1099-R forms are handled on the Wages&Income page, down in the Retirement Plans and Social Security section.  If you had no W-2 for 2019, then skip it and keep going thru the interview Q&A. 

Make sure ALL your income is entered before you finish...if you don's see a Q about some income item, navigate back to the Income section and find the spot where it goes.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

Retirement tax questions

SteamTrain is right.  I misread the question.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"