NM1
Level 4

TT2018 is rounding off input numbers at entry and then incorrectly using them for addition to check an entered total. (Seeing it on 1099-Q but may also happen elsewhere.)

On one of our official reporting forms (happens to be a 1099-Q but problem might not be limited to that) there is a total number, which is then broken out into two numbers that add up to the stated total. With cents included, as on the form, they add up perfectly. However, TT is rounding all the numbers *at entry*: it rounds down the two smaller ones (ending in .01 and .49), but rounds up the entered total (ending in .50). Then it complains that the rounded numbers are "Out of Balance".

This is a very common situation with rounding. TT should instead be doing the addition check using the *unrounded* numbers to avoid this error *per IRS instructions*. See numerous IRS instruction pages such as https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i1042s  "If you have to add two or more amounts to figure the amount to enter on a line, include cents when adding and only round off the total."

How do I make TT do this WITHOUT FALSIFYING ANY OF THE NUMBERS from the form, which is so far the only official answer? Can I just override the erroneously-calculated entries directly on the final forms? Thank you.

Retirement tax questions

I ran into this as well. Surprised that an accounting software doesn't know how to deal with rounding. I simply rounded down one of the entries (TT was rounding it up) to make the math happy.