New Member

I reside and work in North Caroline and receive pension from the Georgia Teachers Retirement System. Do I have to file GA tax return showing income(pension) & pay Ga tax

Level 15

Retirement tax questions

If it shows GA tax withholding, you need to file the GA nonresident tax return, and indicate ZERO income in GA to get the withholding back.

The 1099-R income is only taxable in NC if you were living in NC all of 2017 

Then, Get hold of the GA administrators of that account and get them to stop GA withholding , giving them your new address.  They may or may not be able to do NC withholding instead, but the GA withholding has to stop if you are now a North Carolina resident.

View solution in original post