New Member

Help fix a problem on a 1099 R. can't change an error in field 7

Level 13

Retirement tax questions

You should enter the 1099-R exactly as printed. If there is an error in the 1099-R, then you should contact the issuer of the 1099-R and ask for a corrected 1099-R before you file your return.

The reason is that the issuer has already sent a copy of the 1099-R to the IRS. If there is a discrepancy between what you report and what the issuer reports, then the IRS will usually reach out to you by means of a letter audit.

The issuer owes you a correct 1099-R or an explanation of why it is correct.