W-2 boxes don't correspond to Turbotax questions

The reporting boxes for Turbotax don't correspond to the numbered boxes on my W-2.  Also it requests a control number from "box d" but my W-2 doesn't have such a number.

KrisD
Intuit Alumni

Retirement tax questions

The control number is not needed , but how are the other boxes not conforming?

Retirement tax questions

It starts right with box 2.  TurboTax requests federal taxes withheld.  W-2 (actually box 2a) reports taxable amount of wages reported in box 1.  Box 3 in TurboTax requests Social Security Wages.  W-2 indicates Capital Gains included in box 2a.  W-2 box 4 contains federal taxes withheld.  All subsequent boxes continue to not correspond.
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

Retirement tax questions

I think you may be looking at a 1099 instead of a W2?

Retirement tax questions

It starts right at box 2.   Turbotax asks for federal tax withheld.  W-2 (actually box 2a) reports taxable amount of wages from box 1.  Turbotax box 3 asks for social security wages.  W-2 reports Capital Gains included in box 2a.   All subsequent boxes also don't correspond and TurboTax doesn't even ask for some information provided on the W-2 (e.g. W-2 box 5: Employee contributions/Designated Roth contributions or insurance premiums.
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

Retirement tax questions

Are you retired?

Retirement tax questions

Saw your last answer.  You are correct.  The form is actually not a W-2 but a 1099-R because I am retired.
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

Retirement tax questions

Glad that cleared it up! Thank you for using TurboTax.
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

Retirement tax questions

After you retire, your income will reported on a 1099-R. 

You can enter this form by typing   1099r   into the search box 

Then click the "Jump to 1099r" link

Or 

Click Federal, Wages & Income 

Scroll down to Retirement Plans and Social Security

If this is your first year receiving a 1099-R, take care in reporting it properly. Different types of plans are taxed differently. 

Next year, the program will remember what you reported this year and it will be easier to enter. 

View solution in original post