joehaik1

I'm trying to submit my 1099r and I can't locate the Federal ID Number on the form. Would it go by a different name like "payer's TIN"?

On the details page of the 1099r it lists the payer's TIN as Taxpayer Identification Number.

Leonard
Intuit Alumni

Retirement tax questions

The box on Form 1099R that is labeled TIN is the payers Federal ID Number. 

View solution in original post

tclandi
Returning Member

Retirement tax questions

On the 1099R form it has Payer's TIN.  I have used that as the Federal ID number and it was rejected.  What should  Used?

Retirement tax questions

@tclandi wrote:

On the 1099R form it has Payer's TIN.  I have used that as the Federal ID number and it was rejected.  What should  Used?

The Payer's TIN is the Federal EIN.  It is 9 digits and in the format of 12-3456789.  You only enter the 9 digits and the program will supply the 'dash'.  If what you entered is correct and it is being rejected, the delete the Form 1099-R and re-enter manually.

Retirement tax questions

I did enter the 1099-R manually and still got the rejection. So now what am I supposed to enter?

Retirement tax questions

@MPURSLEY8 wrote:

I did enter the 1099-R manually and still got the rejection. So now what am I supposed to enter?

If you entered the payers EIN on the 1099-R and it rejects as an invalid EIN then contact the payer to see of they entered the wrong number.

1099-R EIN.jpg

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Retirement tax questions

@macuser_22 

I thank you very much for the help; however, they only had their name and address in that box. I did get the info from google.

Retirement tax questions

If your 1090-R was missing the EIN then contact the issuer for a replacement 1099-R.     A 1099-R is not valid without a EIN.   They are required by law to supply a valid 1099-R.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**