I contributed to a Roth IRA in 2016, but recharacterized it as a nondeductible traditional IRA contribution in 2017. How do I enter this in TurboTax?

I contributed to a Roth IRA in 2016, but then recharacterized it as a nondeductible traditional IRA contribution in 2017. When entering the traditional IRA contribution info into TurboTax, what do I put down for 'How much of the above total contribution was between January 1, 2017 and April 18, 2017?'
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Retirement tax questions

You will enter zero.  When you recharacterize a contribution, the original treatment of the contribution is treated as if it never happened.  Even though you recharacterized in 2017, your original contribution (which is now a nondeductible Traditional IRA) was made in 2016.  You are considered to have made your Traditional IRA contribution in 2016 and not 2017.  Here is an FAQ with more information:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302139

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

CCR

Retirement tax questions

So how do we report the Roth IRA distribution that is reported in 1099 R with Code R for the 2017 tax year? Do we need to attach an explanation/ statement in 8606 ?