Level 15

Retirement tax questions

If you made a nondeductible traditional IRA contribution for 2016, it must be reported on a 2016 Form 8606.  If your 2016 tax return did not include this, you'll need to file the late Form 8606.

Assuming that your Roth conversion was done in 2017, the amount from line 14 of your 2016 Form 8606 will carry forward to line 2 of your 2017 Form 8606 to be used in determining the taxable amount of your 2017 Roth conversion.  If the Roth conversion was instead done in 2016, it will be included on your 2016 Form 8606 Part II.

View solution in original post

Privacy Settings