tashahr

Roth conversion not showing on 8606

Converted 403b to Roth IRA (1099R dist code G) When entering step-by-step 1099-R info, I check "Yes, money rolled over to Roth". After entering all the info, I click "Edit" button to revisit and the box has reverted to "No, this money wasn't rolled over". If I click "back" at any point while entering, it still shows the box marked as "Yes" but once all info is entered, it reverts to "No" and Part II of form 8606 shows as blank. How do I fix this?

Retirement tax questions

1) yes, it resets if you "Edit" it and go thru the questions again.  Because the reason why you are "editing" it cannot be known, a lot of software questions for 1099-R forms are reset if you go back and Edit....You just set things properly, and move on and leave it alone.  (It absolutely has to do that, since the decision trees on where to go next can get pretty complex.  Yeah, I sometimes think I'd like them to 'keep" too, but then I think otherwise....tough call)

But you do have to be sure to answer NO, the the first question about rolling into a ROTH 403b or Roth 401k...then the next page asks about rolling to a ROTH IRA.....then answer the questions that follow carefully

2)  A 403b-to-Roth IRA code G doesn't get recorded on an 8606.  that's only for converting IRA/SEP/SIMPLE IRA account with nondeductible contributions.

3) To make sure you entered it properly, you need to see your form 1040.  It should be on line 16a,b with most or all of the $$ in 16b with "rollover" printed alongside of that line.   16b will be lower than box 1 of your 1099-R only if you made some after-tax contributions to your 403b.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

View solution in original post

tashahr

Retirement tax questions

Thank you! This was really helpful!