I received 2 1099 R forms from the same investiment company for different amounts

Do I need to put down both on my tax returns?

Retirement tax questions

Depends...if one was a corrected form...then only that one is needed.

But if the box 7 code numbers are different...then they are entered separately.
____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

Retirement tax questions

And a few companies send out separate forms when you have different holdings in that account to distinguish which holdings the $$ came from (a somewhat unnecessary propogation of forms...opinion)
____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

Retirement tax questions

Box 7 codes are the same. One has the IRA box checked off next to box 7 and the other doesn't. One has the total distribution box checked off next to it and the other doesn't

Retirement tax questions

Nether have the corrected box checked off

Retirement tax questions

So...what did you do?

Roll a 401k into an ira....then take some money out...or convert some to roth?

There's a whole host of possibilities And at thi point wd can only guess.......if you don't know what you did, and cannot decrib what pension/401k/IRA moves you did last year.....then asking the people at the financial inst. Might be your first step.

Retirement tax questions

I rolled a 403b into a traditional IRA. I didn't take any money out. The difference of amounts is less than .50 cents. I called them and they said to report both. I put both into the tax form online but now it shows I have double the money, which I don't have.

Retirement tax questions

The transferred $$ will show as double for two transactions

The 403b to IRA (ira/sep/simple box not checked) will show zero taxable income incom if the folollowup questions you answered indicated the rollover.

The second 1099-R with the ira/sep/simple box checked should not exist unless you took the money out or moved it into a roth ira.

Call them again and ask what that second 1099-R represents.