suerusty
Returning Member

401K already taxed 30% but turbo tax is calculating the additional 10% that was already paid, how should I correct this

WillK
Intuit Alumni

Retirement tax questions

Was this considered an early withdraw?
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
suerusty
Returning Member

Retirement tax questions

Yes.  I was taxed 30% off the amount and paid it already
suerusty
Returning Member

Retirement tax questions

I already paid the 10% penalty I believe that turbo tax is charging again

Retirement tax questions

You had taxes withheld from the withdrawal.  The penalty is only assessed on your tax return.  The distribution is entered on your tax return as ordinary income and is included with any other income you have reported, all taxed at your current tax rate.  The taxes withheld from the distribution are included with any other taxes you had withheld and entered on your tax return as a tax payment.

Retirement tax questions

The federal taxes withheld and shown in box 4 of the Form 1099-R are entered on your tax return as a tax payment.  If the distribution was an early withdrawal then there will be a 10% early withdrawal penalty assessed as a tax liability on Schedule 4 Line 59.  The totals from Schedule 4 flow to the Form 1040 Line 14.

If your total tax payments are greater than your total tax liabilities then you will receive a tax refund for the overpayment.  If your total tax payments are less than your total tax liabilities then you will have taxes owed.

To enter a form 1099-R -

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Wages and Income (Personal Income using Home and Business)
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
  • Scroll down to Retirement Plans and Social Security
  • On IRA, 401(k), Pension Plan Withdrawals (1099-R), click the start or update button

Or enter 1099-r in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen.  Click on Jump to 1099-R

View solution in original post