radumaris

Can someone please help me with reporting a back door roth ira and a 401(k) to a traditional ira rollover on turbo tax premier?

Can you tell me where and how to enter the following 3 items on turbo tax premier: (1) a traditional IRA contribution, (2) a traditional ira to a Roth IRA conversion and (3) a 401(k) to a traditional IRA rollover?  Do I use the wages and income or the deduction and credits IRA sections?  And how do I answer the questions on Turbotax?

IreneS
Intuit Alumni

Retirement tax questions

Please see the FAQ below for instructions on entering the Back Door Roth.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/6768029

401(k) to a Traditional IRA Rollover
If the rollover was directly from your 401K to the traditional IRA, the 1099-R from your 401K should show code G (rollover).  TurboTax will ask you if you rolled over the funds to a Roth 401k or a Roth IRA.  Answer No to both questions.  [If you answered yes, the distribution would be taxable.]

If you rolled over the funds yourself (within 60 days), there will not be a code G on your 1099-R and you will have to indicate that your rolled over the funds yourself.  Please follow these steps:
  1. After the 1099-R entry screen, you will see a screen, What Did You Do With The Money From IRA?   Mark the button that you moved the money to another retirement account
  2. In the section, Choose which of the following applies:
    • If you put back the entire $15,000 (which includes the amount of withholding), choose the first option -- "rolled over all of this money to another traditional IRA or other retirement account (or returned it to the same account)." 
    • If you put back the net amount your received ($15,000 minus the withholding), select the third option-- "did a combination of rolling over, converting, or cashing out the money."  [You will be asked how much of the distribution was rolled over]
  3. If you indicated that you put pack the entire amount, TurboTax will confirm the actual amount that you put back-- How Much Money Did You Actually Deposit?    
  4. If you indicated that you did not put back the withholding, on the next screen, Report Partial Rollover, enter the net amount you put back.  [If you don't put anything in this box, TurboTax will tax the entire distribution.]  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"