jstweet

Are military survivor benefits, that I included as taxable income on my federal return, taxable in Minnesota?

There is an option to subtract the military pay from the Minnesota income in the section regarding "Income Adjustments".

JulieCo

Retirement tax questions

No, if the qualifications are met below as survivor benefits are included in the certain military retirement pay that can be subtracted from your Minnesota taxable income.  Listed below are the qualifications to get the subtraction.

Do I qualify for this subtraction?

You may qualify if your retirement pay is taxable on your federal return and was for any of the following:

• Service in the active component of the military (U.S. Code Title 10, sections 1401 to 1414)
  • Retirement pay for service in the reserve component (U.S. Code Title 10, section 12733)
  • Survivor benefit plan payments, including payments to a former spouse as part of a court order (U.S. Code Title 10, sections 1447 to 1455)

You may not claim this subtraction if you claim the Credit for Past Military Service

From: https://www.revenue.state.mn.us/individuals/individ_income/Pages/Military_Pensions.aspx

View solution in original post