Does SSA 1099 have to file taxes?

Retirement tax questions

If Social Security income is the only income you earned in 2016, it is not taxable or reportable, and you need not file a tax return.

If you received other taxable income, you may need to file a return, and include your Social Security income.

To enter your Social Security benefits reported on form SSA-1099 (if you have other taxable income)

• Click on Federal Taxes
  • Click on Wages and Income
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on
  • Scroll down to Retirement Plans and Social Security
  • On Social Security (SSA-1099, RRB-1099), click the start or update button

See Is My Social Security Income Taxable?

876EAnTk

Retirement tax questions

Hello,

1. Would like to know if I have to file a Form SSA-1099 -Social Security Benefit Statement.

2. If I received Social Security disability and no taxes were taken out do I have to file this form? 

3. My husband works so do I have to file joint or just file his tax?? 

Retirement tax questions

file joint and list the social security payments.

you will find that the tax is lower filing joint vs. filing married-separate

if HE only files, he is obligated to file married-separate and you are obligated to file married-separate and THEN that social security payment MAY BE taxable (because the rules are different).

Retirement tax questions

Will i get any supplement as i only have ssa 1099

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

Retirement tax questions

Yes, but you do not need to do anything to get it.  See this link for the latest updates:  https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Aglo67

Retirement tax questions

Do I need to file to get my stimnlas check

Retirement tax questions

If there is nothing else that requires you to file a tax return, then this would be the only form of information for the IRS to go by in order to determine what you are due for stimulus (for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd payments) so I would definitely file a tax return if you have not done so already. Provide the IRS (via the tax software) your bank information if you do not receive your SS checks via direct deposit. If you do get direct deposit then the IRS should already have this information. However, just to be on the safe side I would file a return.

oldtxman

Retirement tax questions

do i need to file taxes,   I am 77 ssa 1099 is only income i have.   trivial interest received   <2.00

Retirement tax questions

@oldtxman   No you don't have to file if you only have SSA-1099 income.  Unless you are married and your spouse is filing.  

oldtxman

Retirement tax questions

THANK U

oldtxman

Retirement tax questions

TO ALL REPLIES