slaksh
Returning Member

2 person LLC partnership. I am an active member, my wife is a passive member. I have a 401k. What are retirement plan and employer match contribution limits?

Also, can I deposit this money in to the 401k plan for 2016 tax year in March 2017?
RichardK

Retirement tax questions

Per the IRS website, click here, the 401(k) limits are:

Contribution limits in a one-participant 401(k) plan

The business owner wears two hats in a 401(k) plan: employee and employer. Contributions can be made to the plan in both capacities. The owner can contribute both:

·        Elective deferrals up to 100% of compensation (“earned income” in the case of a self-employed individual) up to the annual contribution limit:

o   $18,000 in 2016 and 2017, or $24,000 in 2016 and 2017 if age 50 or over; plus

·        Employer non-elective contributions up to:

o   25% of compensation as defined by the plan, or

o   for self-employed individuals, see discussion below

If you’ve exceeded the limit for elective deferrals in your 401(k) plan, find out how to correct this mistake.

Total contributions to a participant’s account, not counting catch-up contributions for those age 50 and over, cannot exceed $54,000 (for 2017; $53,000 for 2016)

Generally the retirement contribution is made by the due date of the tax return.

View solution in original post

slaksh
Returning Member

Retirement tax questions

Thank you for the clarification. I have a couple of follow up questions.

If I chose to make a $18,000 elective deferral where in Turbo Tax Business software would I enter this? Also, where would I enter any employer non-elective deferral contributions to my retirement in Turbo Tax Business software.

Just to double confirm I have until April 15th to deposit any elective deferral and non-elective employee contributions to my 401k account.