roxy255

2016 1099-G. showed only first week's unemployment payment but shoed ALL taxes withheld! DES card activated Jan2018. My 2018 1099-G::total income but 0$ w/held? Help!

As the unemployment office already withheld my taxes on my total unemployment in 2016, but has only reported the total compensation paid on the 2017 1099-G, what to do? I don't want to pay the same taxes twice!

Retirement tax questions

Ok ... so the 2016 form was wrong in that is showed all the 2017 withholding on it but only the 2016 earnings?   But you used that form to get a larger than normal refund in 2016 ?   So now the 2017 form shows all the income but none of the withholding ?  Well, you can't have it both ways ... you got the refund last year in error so now it's time to pay the piper. 

However, if you got the 2016 corrected  then you will also need to get the 2017 form corrected. 

View solution in original post

roxy255

Retirement tax questions

Thank you - I checked my last year's return - I'm glad I didn't report the total compensation I was due in 2016 (though at the time I felt I should have had, even though the DES 1099-G didn't). Because I didn't "activate" the debit card within 10 days I had all kinds of complications later.  Nowhere on the web page of the Bank of America debit card website or NC's DES site did it say it needed activation in 10 days.
So, because of complications due to the card activation, the amount available for access from the card was delayed until 2017...thus unemployment comp amount was not put on the 2016 1099-G, but 2017's.  (I was not laid off at all in 2017,though).
Lesson learned - if  you are ever laid off and use a debit card, activate it IMMEDIATELY even if you don't need to use it right away. I guess it'll all come out more or less correct in the end. I feel a bit better now after your answer!