On Form 1099-R, shouldn't the amount reported in Box 5 (Employee contributions/designated Roth contributions or insurance premiums) also be reported in Box 9b?

In my situation, I took a distribution from a life insurance cash accumulation account upon retirement. My after tax contributions are reported in Box 5 of Form 1099-R. (Employee contributions/designated Roth contributions or insurance premiums). But Box 9b (Total employee contributions) reports zero. It appears that I am now being taxed on these funds which are after tax dollars.  

dmertz
Level 15

Retirement tax questions

Box 9b is informational only.  Under no circumstances is it used by TurboTax in preparing your tax return.  TurboTax should be using the amount in box 2a as the taxable amount unless box 2a is blank and box 2b Taxable amount not determined is marked.  However, since an amount is shown in box 5, box 2a should have the correct taxable amount.

View solution in original post

Retirement tax questions

Form 1099R 

5. Employee Contribution  5245.30

7. dist. code

7 non-disability

1. gr distribution   34,284

2a  Taxable amount 33,897.48                   

Where does the employee contribution come in at?

dmertz
Level 15

Retirement tax questions

@Edith Pike , something seems wrong with that Form 1099-R.  It makes no sense to me that the sum of box 5 and box 2a does not equal box 1.

Retirement tax questions

Yes, I am doing research to see if I have missed something.  I have prepared Taxes for 30 years and this is a new one on me.  Back to the books.

dmertz
Level 15

Retirement tax questions

You'll need to discuss this one with the payer.  The Form 1099-R seems to be erroneous.