apidlusky

TurboTax tells me "VA Deductions statement code 115-Amount; ABLEnow Contributions cannot be greater than $2,000 for people under age 70." Where is that written?

Under the VA state return, I contributed $15,000 in 2018 to an ABLEnow account, the maximum allowed.  I don't see anywhere in the ABLEnow literature that "ABLEnow Contributions cannot be greater than $2,000 for people under age 70.".  

Ashby

Retirement tax questions

Two different things - You can contribute up to $15,000 per account. However, your Virginia state deduction is limited to $2,000 of the $15,000 contribution. (Unless, you are 70 or older)

Top of page 38 in the literature says:

Virginia Tax Deduction – The Virginia General Assembly has enacted a tax deduction for individuals subject to the Commonwealth of Virginia’s individual income tax. The amount deducted on any individual income tax return in any taxable year is generally limited to $2,000 per Account. Contributors may carry forward any un-deducted amounts until their contributions have been fully deducted. If the Contributor has attained age 70, he or she may deduct the entire amount contributed to an Account, less any amounts previously deducted.

View solution in original post

apidlusky

Retirement tax questions

Ok. So even though I contributed $15,000, I must enter $2,000.  And I must remember to carry forward amounts in future tax VA tax returns until fully deducted?  
Pmeng

Retirement tax questions

This seems a bug in the TurboTax State Taxes for VA. In the software, it stated "Contributed to an ABLEnow Account". When I entered the contribution from 5498-QATax for 2022, the error stated "The maximum contribution to an account per year is $2000." And the actual calculation should be taking my contribution and deduct the $2000. I have been filing ABLEnow account contribution in the past three years using TurboTax and this is the first time this issue happened. Can I report this as a bug?